Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Old Endings and New Beginnings

Tomorrow, my mom is coming to stay with us for awhile. Her bones are so brittle she doesn't even realize that she's breaking them by twisting and turning. It's so hard to see our parents age and eventually, die. They were invincible to us as children. The things we consider "normal" have to change - to ebb and flow into the healthy fluidity that is required to keep up with life. Two years ago when my husband had a serious torso trauma in an ATV accident, this fact came through to me loud and clear. We are still getting used to the "new normal". Part of any loss is the process through which we accept the changes that occur. My husband, Stan, will never be the same. My mother will never be the same. Stan will always have some limitations. She will always be in pain. I just want to help her through her journey of acceptance - and give her some dignity in the winter of her life. Our lives are filled with family, church callings, service, horses, outdoor recreation, art, music, and the everyday happenings of life. .



And YW camp is in less than 10 days away and other ward changes are coming. I am in the process of delegating some responsibilities to those around me. I need to remember to take care of myself - through swimming, riding, journaling - so that I can better serve those who need me.

(I didn't draw this artwork - it's from a free clipart collection).

No comments: